Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Techy Tuesdays: Do you use iPads in the classroom?

Almost 2 weeks ago I had the opportunity to visit another international school in southern China to learn on how they started an iPad initiative for their students from grades preschool to middle school.  It was so insightful and I learned a lot from the ECC teachers that integrate the use of iPads in their own classrooms.  Next year my school is also considering a 1-to-1 iPad program for elementary and middle school and shared iPads for ECC.  What better way to learn how to successfully start a program like that by visiting another school that already succeeded in doing so!  Keep reading and I have a freebie for you!

I observed two 4-year old classrooms that have 4 iPads and 1 teacher iPad in each grade in the ECC classrooms.  Lisa's class was the first classroom I was able to visit.  She had her students break off into groups to share with my Principal and I what their favorite apps on the iPad was.

A group of students showed me a games made by the same developer called PEEP and the Big Wide World.  They are all free games at the app store and they just loved showing me the games.  I got excited as I knew my kinders would like those same exact games.  Just look up PEEP and the Big Wide World and all the free games will pop up!

Another app these preschoolers adore is the Kaleidoscope Drawing Pad app (also FREE).  These students were able to create beautiful pictures with just a few finger strokes.  I also taught them how to email their parents by themselves on the iPad using this app. 

I was playing around with QR codes 2 weeks ago and I created some simple poem QR codes that connect to YouTube videos.  I printed, laminated, and hooked them on a ring and put them in my reading library for kids to have access during rest time and centers time.  They LOVE using the iPads to scan and listen/watch the poems and nursery rhymes!  Click on the picture or the respective stores to get this freebie!
TN              TpT

Does your school use iPads in the classroom?  If so, what kind of program do you have? A shared system? 1-to-1 iPads?  iPad carts?  I would love to hear what you have and what you do with them. :)

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing. I hope that you don't mind, but I've linked your apps up to a "Classroom 'App'lications" linky of mine.

    Christy
    Teaching Tales Along the Yellow Brick Road

    ReplyDelete
  2. Christy, I don't mind at all! Glad I could be a part of your linky party. Going to check it out now! :)

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your cheerful comments!